Home » Audio » Group Build » Juvenile request
Juvenile request [message #30397] Fri, 04 February 2005 17:30 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I have a little request. When we get around to doing a power amp, how 'bout making one with tubes that glow. Mercury vapor power supplies and 2A3's for outputs would give us a groovy light show. Silly as it might be, I miss the blue glow from my 2A3's when running other tube amps.

Put down the iron, walk away from the Stoetkit and ..... [message #30401 is a reply to message #30397] Fri, 04 February 2005 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
get some fresh air.

BTW, who has extra oil plugs just sitting around?.....Colin

Re: Put down the iron, walk away from the Stoetkit and ..... [message #30403 is a reply to message #30401] Fri, 04 February 2005 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I like the idea of 2a3's and vapor tubes myself, why is that juvenile? I say we go with it. However I think Douglas likes less well known tubes.
Colin; by oil plugs you mean the caps?
Also did you get my E-mail, I would like to see those files if at all possible.

Just being a goof.... [message #30405 is a reply to message #30403] Fri, 04 February 2005 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
- I like the idea of mercury rectifiers and the 2A3 myself. I was just being silly.

- It should have said freeze plugs, not oil plugs. Wayne made reference to it under the FS Audio forum regarding the build.

- Yes, both virgin files (not down loaded onto my HD) were sent on to you from my email. They should have been attachments.....Colin

Re: Just being a goof.... [message #30406 is a reply to message #30405] Sat, 05 February 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You actually were right. Those plugs go in the end of the lifter oil passage. The only time they're ever used is during a complete build. The machine shop has to remove them to do their work, so you have to press new ones back in. But I had a few lying around and found them to be just perfect for cutting thules in the Stoetkit. Worked just like a thimble. Cheap too - You can get 'em at auto parts stores for less than a buck.

Re: Juvenile request [message #30407 is a reply to message #30397] Sat, 05 February 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
SE 2A3 (6B4G, 6A3) power amp would be rel. easy, IMO - with typical OP (Uak=250V, Ugk=-45V, Ia=60mA, Ra=2k5, Pout=3,5W), we need about 32Vrms "input" from the driver for the full power. With our high-output "Guinevere" line stage, we can comfortably use one - tube driver with active load, say again 5687, or ECC99, E182CC, or something from 6SN7 "family", say 6J5GT single triode.
PS would be little more complicated, say LCLC for B+ of about 300V, motor-run caps again. For the input tube/driver additional LC (or RC stage). With active (DN2540 again) load, about 300V or little less is enough B+ for the above tubes. I can draw the schematic, even breadbord the prototipe, I`m sure that Doug can give some ideas, especially with Hg-rectifiers (I don`t have the experience with those).
All in all, IMO - project easy enough to build, but "good enough" (with good transformers - "Heyboer" again, or...?).
PP 2A3 is another option, maybe better - but little more complicated, especially phase splitter/driver - it`s hard to do it "right" simple. Probably larger/separated B+ for the driver is in the order (400V or so, even larger), and probably 2-stage is requied.
Just some thoughts, we`ll see...

Re: Juvenile request [message #30409 is a reply to message #30407] Sat, 05 February 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Your talking my language; I'm getting all tingly! Have Heybouer wire the output trans inter-leaved on a potted c-core with 40 gauge secondary; damn the cost, full speed ahead! Big fat choke loaded with mercury vapour's Power supply on a seperate chassis and output stage on mono-blocks.

Re: Juvenile request [message #30410 is a reply to message #30407] Sat, 05 February 2005 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
How 'bout a simple SE 2A3 with mercury vapor PS?

you don't want to see what *I* thik is complex... [message #30416 is a reply to message #30407] Sun, 06 February 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
an' I'm not gettin involved in no steeeenkin', hafff assssed SE amp.

To take the position that a single stage of 5687 can drive a SE, leaves a fairly simple( for all you newly created CCS experts ) long-tail-pair/differential amp phase splitter to run it from.

Since we're probably going to make our own custom OPT of between 5 and 7k a-a for loading the 2A3's it is no big deal to put in a pair of 10% E-Linear driver taps on the plate winding and again run with a super-simple single stage L-C B+.

and then ther's the op point. Lower voltage means you can run more current w/o exceeding the plate rating. The input voltage requirement will be lower, but so will the phase splitter's ability to generate it. A -50 volt bias indicates a drive requirement of 100V p-p, which is possible with a resistive loaded 5687. A DC-tolerant PP plate choke might be indicated here in order to achieve maximum output voltage swing on min B+.

With a PP choke, I'd be quite tempted to use a 6BX7 with mu=10. I am getting IT ideas as well. Phase splitt with an input tube working as a split-load. 12B4 will give performance like a 1:1+1 IT in that position. Feed a second pair of 12B4 riding a string of LED as a common cathode load bias arrangement. Load with the Lundahl 1660 PP:PP and you could even get some grid current with the 2A3 power stage. I bet it would overlaod very gently with such a driving arrangement.

Guinevere will comfortably supply 10-15 vrms to the imput...
regards,
Douglas

Principle schematic [message #30418 is a reply to message #30410] Sun, 06 February 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

LCLC PS for the 2A3, (can be even simpler, say CLC :-)), plus RC stage for the driver tube. Driver tube has CCS load (can be anode choke as well). P is hum-cancelling pot, cathode bias is from Rk (+Ck bypass). I ommited "standby" switch (for pre-heating).
For the 2A3 values of the output stage are:
R3=220k, R4=1 kOhms, P=50 Ohms/2W, Rk2=750 Ohms/10W, Ck2=47-100 uF/100V, trafo Ra=2k5, B+ = 300V.
V1 and the components - depends of the tube used (we`ll see), the same as of V3/secondary /Ufv3 voltage/current.
Ufv2 is 2,5V/2,5A and Uhv1=6,3V/1A.

Previous Topic: Choke order
Next Topic: So; where were we?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:45:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers