Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ?
Is mixing 'n matching cabs a bad idea ? [message #48601] Fri, 13 January 2006 04:19 Go to previous message
pieter is currently offline  pieter
Esquire
Hope this is the right forum, I'm looking for some open minded speaker and cab geeks.....

I'm looking for a 2nd cab for my bassguitar playing. My first cab is a 1x12 + tweeter. As a whole, that cab is full range. It is 8 ohms.

I'm looking for a second 8 ohm cab.

Some guys buy (or build) an identical cab, so that they have two 1x12 cabs. The second cab can be without a tweeter. They say: the two cabs must be identical, otherways the lows will never be tight.

Other guys like to add a 10". So, they have a 1x12 + 1x10. Or even a 1x12 + a 2x10. Or, they add a different 1x12 (so, they use two different 12" drivers). Usually, no cross overs are used between the cabs, so both cabs run full range.

These guys say: the second cab should be different, to compensate for the weak points of the first cab. For instance, if the first cab has a strong bass but shy mids, they like to add a cab with a lean bass and strong mids.

My question: who is right? Must the cabs be identical, to prevent "mud", or can the cabs be different, so that they complement each other ?

Second (related) question: if one uses different cabs with overlapping frequencies, MUST one use a crossover? Why? What cross over?

Thanks in advance,

Pieter

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Two pi and Tower two ~ Xover and plans
Next Topic: Anybody with plans and circuit for 12" based 3 ways?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 23 14:02:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio