Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What if the "live cabinet" Co's. like Audio Note are right?
What if the "live cabinet" Co's. like Audio Note are right? [message #47469] Sun, 14 August 2005 10:30 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
One of my best friends is a published theologian. Ask him if there are still moral absolutes in modern life and he'll grin and say "absolutely".
If there can be any absolutes in Audio, (begging the objective vs. subjective question) shouldn't one of them involve cabinet construction? Afterall, whether a "live" or "dead" hall can best be portrayed by it's opposite or twin is a question which should be easily answered.
But no one asks.
Everyone has an opinion about the advantages and faults of the two main protagonists, MDF and plywood. Some have even listened to them and a very few have conducted scientific tests.
It occurs to me that the speaker box plays a similar role to the hall, studio or stadium. It is the vessel in which the sound exists as well as a key determiner of the overall sound of a performance.
The Scholatics among us will endlessly debate whether any but an acoustically inert cabinet can accurately portray the actual performance.
I say let's do a Roger Bacon and go around to the Stables and count the teeth................
All we must do is build, say, 2 Pi's. Four pairs. One of MDF with standard bracing, one of high quality plywood with the same bracing, another of plywood with 1/2 the usual bracing like the Audio Note's and a fourth, with no bracing at all.
Then listen to "live" performance recordings of a venue we are familiar with.
Does that sound anything like rigorous scientific method?
Or what the hell, do what I'm about to do, just build a pair in plywood and see how they sound against some ornery absolute

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: What recommendation for home theater?
Next Topic: tuning the Alpha 10"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 11:44:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout