Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 3-way
Pi 3-way [message #45660] Thu, 21 October 2004 18:05 Go to previous message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
Hello all
It's been a while since I stopped by but I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Wayne for his insperation and willingness to share his work. I've built many variations of quality speakers in the last couple years starting with Waynes 4Pi Pro. While the Pro is a great design it wasn't what I was looking for as it turned out. On recomendations of the guys over at Lansing Heritage I got a hold of some JBL 2235H's. I swapped out the 2226H's for the 35's and found that was a bit more to my taste. However as some of you know the 4 Pi Pro is a relatively small cabinet, too small for the 35's anyway. So, what the heck build bigger cabinets, and after all if a little is good more is better right? Wrong!!!!! I built the cabinets to JBL's spec of 5 cu', much to my surprise I was very unhapppy with the combo( I'd also gone 3way with a 2123J doing mids with a 2421 on a Eminence H290). Did I mention the cabinets were double loaded, oops very low SAP. Back to drawing board. Also I'd read post after post of how much better the wooden horns were turning out. Since the top end actually was a bigger issue than the sloppy bass I thought I'd give that a whirl too. So dig out Pi.exe, 4.05 cu' for a 2235H, just like Wayne had told me many moons ago. Long story short, I cut down the double 15" cabinets to fit my home built 2345 JBL cloned horns, 1/2 cu'sealed chambers up top for the mids and finished. How did it it work out, well in a work Unbeleivable !!!!!!!!!!! Done is the hiss and spit from the plastic horn, way more detail, much warmer tone, and tons of tight, accurate BASS!!!!!! I'll probably never build another speaker in my life.
Thx again Wayne

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 18's for 10pi's
Next Topic: Stage 3 Omega pro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 29 06:51:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects