Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » thinking about going back to a pro amp.
thinking about going back to a pro amp. [message #45124] Fri, 30 July 2004 05:53 Go to previous message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
I am a little bit frustrated with what ~$1000 buys a guy in a used home audio 5 channel amp so I am considering going back to a pro amp for home use.

I say back to because I was using a QSC USA 900 amp to power my Adire Kit281s for several years and I was very happy with the results, during that time I tried a few home amps and receivers and the QSC/Adire sound always came out on top. Man did I catch some flack for using that amp too!

Anway I upgraded to seperates recently and now I only have the amp that I was using to run my mains..a Parasound HCA-1500A ...I am still 3 channels short.

I paid $200 for my QSC USA 900 and got tons of use out of it, that thing was rated at 450x2 @ 4 ohms and it very much sounded like it, it drove those speakers to very high SPLs cleanly.

I could pick up 3 used QSC USA 900s for about what I paid for my HCA-1500A .

QSC says that on paper the new RMX line is identical to the USA series but I am not sure I believe that or not. If it is true then I could pick up 3 RMX 1450s and have tons of power on tap.

What are some of the better sounding budget amps out now? Have any of you guys experimented?

I do have an RMX 1850HD for subwoofer duty right now so I plan on wiring it up to my Stage 4 Pi speakers and A/Bing it against my Parasound HCA-1500A.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: KSN1038 Discontinued
Next Topic: Pi 5 vs. Pi 8 questions for Wayne