Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » are Beyma Pro drivers any good for Hi-Fi? Comparable to JBL's?
LX-60 and G40 [message #44065 is a reply to message #44058] Fri, 27 February 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As I said before, the LX-60 is the best choice for low frequency subwoofer duty.

LX-60 has:
*9mm linear excursion vs 7mm of the G40, hence greater SPL capability
*LX-60 works in SBB4 alignment because of lower Fs and lower Qts, it's better damped with no sharp knees in the group delay (better transient response)

G40 has:
*0.5db less power compression at 700W
*Dual Spiders and what Beyma calls an improved motor structure

Both drivers will work though, but I'd prefer the LX-60. In a pro sound application the more rugged G40 with dual spiders will withstand high volume levels for longer, but for a home application the LX-60 has more benefits. I'd expect it's probably a little cheaper too, if the G40 is a new model.

Overhang and top plate thickness of both models are actually the same though according to Beyma, so the quoted 9mm xmax of the LX-60 to the G40's quoted 7mm xmax should possibly not be used as a comparison; they should have the same linear excursion. The better transient response capability is what really makes me choose the LX-60. To me, having tight transient response is very important.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: crossover
Next Topic: Passive Line Level Compensation Network?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 09:13:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio