Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » are Beyma Pro drivers any good for Hi-Fi? Comparable to JBL's?
Re: I'll get the 2206, but 2241H or 2242H? [message #44034 is a reply to message #44032] Tue, 24 February 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Adkins

The 2241 and 2242 are almost the same. Since the 2241 has a higher Qts, it doesn't form an EBS alignment if you want an F3 of 35Hz, but the 2242 will form a -3db shelf. There is nothing wrong with this, but I'm just pointing it out as you asked for the difference. Bass efficiency between the two are almost identical, with the -3db shelf reversed by the higher referance efficiency compared to the 2241, so the two are just about equal.

The DBX 480 can do some neat things but it won't make up for a bad design. No electronics will, at least not fully. We won't have you do a bad design though, so you don't need to worry.

I can't remember if you are going to use a super tweeter or not. My advice was not to use one, and instead employ compensation on the HF horn instead to have it reach 16KHz. If you do go down this route, the best suggestion I can give is to use the Pi Speakers passive crossover compensation network. I guess you could sort of simulate the curve using a graphic EQ to an extent, however the real crossover provides the exact slope needed. There is also an active version available.

Don't be scared about the crossover, you won't be in it on your own. Members of this forum, including myself will give you whatever guidance or help ou need.

The 2241 can reach 25Hz as well if you EQ it. You can use a 250L box tuned at 25Hz. Parametric EQ centered at 25Hz with a Q of 0.7 and +4db boost will extend the anchoic F3 to 30Hz. Corner load it in an average sized living room, F3 will drop near to 20Hz.

Adrian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: crossover
Next Topic: Passive Line Level Compensation Network?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:59:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio