Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » taming the piezoelectric
Re: taming the piezoelectric, attn: Bill Epstein [message #43903 is a reply to message #43894] Tue, 10 February 2004 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm so fickle and easy to please.
However, I just completed a trial that convinces me there is still no substitute for "cubic inches"!
First, Theatre 4 Pi and Studio 2 Pi are really great with the 2A3 tube, 3 watts. Amazing bass along with expected sweet mids and top.
Also the 4 Pi in particular was terrific with a mid-fi transisstor receiver. The PSD-2002 is somewhat more forgiving and rounded than the JBL 24?? for instance.
In the back of my mind, tho', was the idea that SET's round off something to achieve that sound.
Where things really came into focus for me was the introduction of the Ella EL-34 amp. Excellent control of the lows and very detailed but not fatiguing mids and highs. I went to Triode at 15 watts looking for a more "SET" sound and was unimpressed. When I recently switched back to Pentode and the full 40 watts per, what a difference! While there is a definite "amplified" sound moreso than with SET's overall the dynamics, tonal shading and imaging of the Pentode is superior. Better control over the motors, I guess?
High Efficiency does not preclude high power by any means.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message