Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Two Pi Towers are HUGE!
Two Pi Towers are HUGE! [message #42856] Fri, 31 October 2003 05:55 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had the panels cut for the Pi Towers last night from a couple of sheets of 1" MDF. I adjusted the external dimensions by 3/4" to maintain the internal volume (by my calculation, the internal volume would have been off by 13% if I used 1" without adjustment).

For the first time, I got a real sense of the size of these speakers and they are huge! I know, I know. I've read the specs many times, but I never bothered to imagine what a four foot tall tower that's 16" wide would look like. Needless to say, my wife's not too please. She's given me two options. The only way something this big is going to sit in the living room is if it ends up looking really nice, meaning it has to be finished in wood veneer and she decides on the finishing. Or two, I cut it down to the "bookshelf" size.

Out of curiosity, do the towers have to be 46" tall? If I decide to cut it down by a foot, would I be able to compensate with adjustments to port dimension? I took a brief look at the Alignment document and was a little confused by it. For the Alpha10, I found that:
Vad = 2.9 ft^3
Frd = 50 Hz
What is Qd? Is that a fixed parametre for the driver, or a variable depending on Ve?

thanks,
gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2-way speakers
Next Topic: Do I have to use the PSD3003 with 18" drivers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 17:12:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio