Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Back from the Vet and de-Wormed
Re: Back from the Vet and de-Wormed [message #42322 is a reply to message #42317] Sun, 31 August 2003 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi Bill,

Nice to see your back online! We got bombarded with that crap at work but the firewall and virus software held it off. The IT guy was steppin and fetchen though.

I'm glad your liking the horns. switch them around in different combinations. I dont know that any one combination of a horn and driver is "the best" for every song you play and through my experience I find the more revealing, defined and detailed your system gets. The more some songs sound better and some sound worse! sometimes I just dont get it.

On the BMS drivers. They are going to be much hotter. I run active crossovers so I can switch stuff in and out in a flash and adjust the gain accordingly. You basically have two small increases to deal with. First off, the wood horn will be giving you a db or two more than some other horns. Second the BMS is a hotter driver than Eminence, JBL, Altec. The Altec drivers I've tested with an FFT analyzer roll off a whole lot more than some other drivers. The BMS drivers don't roll off as much as JBL, and Eminence either.

I dont have an exact number for you, but best guess is another 4db of padding as a start point. You might like to try no bypass cap too. The ones I sent you still roll off. Not like the Neodymium models or even a ribbon tweeter which really stay flat. I think the drivers are very smooth once you get them dialed in. I like them as much as TAD's Ive heard. I dont think the JBL drivers I was using in my home system even compares, and I chose the JBL drivers over Altec, Eminence, and Selenium.

Lots of guys LOVE their Altecs, JBL's and a number of other drivers. Thats what makes this such a great country eh? we can choose!

Bill

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: measurement questions
Next Topic: Madisound have a really great service!!!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 23:58:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio