Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » BAH stupid JBL recones!
BAH stupid JBL recones! [message #41885] Thu, 10 July 2003 22:23 Go to previous message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi guys,

Apparantly the stupid dealer doesn't have JBL 2235H recones anymore, so thats pretty annoying. Considering that a month ago they had them but not anymore! He said he has to talk with his dealer in Asia or something.

That brings me to another point - how good are these aftermarket/non genuine JBL recones? I read a very interesting and somewhat funny thread on the High Efficinecy forum regarding chinese recones, and apparantly there was a mixed response. Some said they were fine, others said they were cheap, and I think that included Wayne too! Are these chinese recones "crap"?

I was notified that although I can recone a 2225 basket to a 2235, a person on high eff forum said that the real 2235 basket has whats called a "mass loading ring" or something that accounts for 33% of its cone mass. I found this rather weird cuz the basket isn't the cone and only the cone makes the cone mass - duh :P But I dont know what JBL's done. Can anyone comment on this? Will the cone mass be ~33% lighter thus higher Fs, eff, etc if I recone the 2225 basket to a 2235?

Today I came accross another deal. A pair of ORIGINAL JBL 2225H's in perfect condition. 600 bux australian dollars the pair. Very good price actually. If I reconed the baskets with chinese 2225 recones it would cost 30 bux more. So the originals would be the way to go in this case. If I reconed with the 2235 recones which are actually the ones I wanted (but may not be able to get ANYMORE) it would cost more, but it would be the one I wanted. It would also be a chinese recone though so it might be crap.

I wonder which is the best way to go! The 2225's will work just the same for my application anyway, but they wont go 40Hz -3db point, only 65Hz. But at least they are original and not chinese, and also I have a sub anyway. How bad are the chinese recones? Also, whats the mass loading ring thing and will be T/S parameters be shifted if I put a 2235 recone in a 2225 basket which has no mass loading ring?

Thanks for any help whatsoever! I think I'm gonna just give up speakers and start a stamp collection or something, this stuff has got my brain racing at ten thousand kilmeters per hour since I started this idea. So if you dont wanna see me start a stamp collection, then please give me some help, otherwise I'll be posting pictures of stamps on this forum and not speakers, haha.

Adrian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Theater 4 Pi Driver Screws