Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » new xo question - light dawns!
new xo question - light dawns! [message #41387] Thu, 15 May 2003 07:44 Go to previous message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Hi Wayne,

I got a pair of 8 Ohm 10 watt resistors and put them in series with the mids. Didn't hear much if any change, certainly no improvement. So I took em out, put on Shawn Colvin, who has the kind of voice that exacerbates the problem and listened at lowish volume up near the drivers. The problem turns out not to be the woofer; the tweeter is still too hot! So I threw the 8 Ohm in series in front of the attenuation/comp block you sent, and things are sounding waaaaay more balanced and coherent. Very, very pretty sound.

Q1: How much (additionally) have I taken the TAD2001 down with the added 8 Ohm?

Q2: Back to the xo channel w/ the funky woofer portion. I took a longer look at what was happening, and now I'm really perplexed.

On the good xo side, W+ and W- produce signal. Connecting W+, Input- does as well. W+, In+ produces nothing.

On the funky side, W+, W- produces nothing. W+, Input - produces nothing. W+, Input *+* produces signal! What the h***?

Is this puppy wired up wrong to begin with? How do I get this straight before the NE Bot meeting Saturday? The correct one sounds much better than the funky one, needless to say.

Keep your ears and your mind open.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Resistor values to take the 2123 down 6, please
Next Topic: Any interest in a port calculator???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 19 22:32:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio