Home » Audio » General » Paper-in-oil capacitors
Paper-in-oil capacitors [message #4957] Thu, 31 July 2008 17:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I just replaced some paper-in-oil capacitors in my Audio Note amplifier. It had been blowing fuses and even took out a power transformer, so I decided to investigate. What I found was the left side power tube was biased on strongly, developing a large voltage across the cathode resistor. The first thing I checked was the coupling caps, in fact, I simply replaced them instead of lifting them to see if that would change the bias point. Looking at the schematic, I was pretty confident that was the likely canidate, and sure enough, it was.

I've grown to expect old capacitors in 1940's tube radios are usually bad, so I replace them right off the bat. But I guess I kind of expected modern paper-in-oil caps would last a little longer. Is that not the case? Do they all tend to dry up and become resistors? That's what happened here, the dielectric began to break down, and the plate-to-plate resistance dropped, allowing more and more DC current to flow. Is this the case with all paper-in-oil caps? Mine only lasted five years.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Paper-based transistor
Next Topic: Can you Help? Audio amp wire routing.?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 17:23:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio