Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, please review piezo attenuation values
Wayne, please review piezo attenuation values [message #39956] Sun, 19 January 2003 19:53 Go to previous message
Patrick Kopson is currently offline  Patrick Kopson
Chancellor
I am a bit confused by what you wrote in a recent post:

"You will use a capacitor in series with the tweeter. Since the tweeter is primarily capacitive, a series capacitor forms a voltage divider rather than a frequency splitter. There is no filter function when components having the same reactive properties are connected together. So a capacitor/capacitor network forms a simple voltage divider, much like a resistor/resistor network does.

For a KSN-1038, you can expect attenuation in the following amounts:

1.0uF 1dB
0.5uF 2dB
0.33uF 3dB
0.22uF 4dB
0.1uF 7dB

These values are what you'll get if you connect a capacitor in series with the tweeter, and do not use any other components. That gives broad-band attenuation only, and does not act as a crossover."

This seems to say (to me), "smaller series capacitor yields greater attenuation." Taking that to the extreme, I think it implies, "no series capacitor (a simple wire) yields total attenuation." This last bit is clearly not true; hence my confusion.

Was there a mistake in your recent post, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Patrick

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Going to build the 800a009dB X-over from scratch; need help with C5 and R3
Next Topic: What amp do you prefere with your Pi One, or Two's?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 19:06:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio