Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Variation on a Theater 4pi
Variation on a Theater 4pi [message #38758] Mon, 21 October 2002 13:36 Go to previous message
DRC is currently offline  DRC
Master
Okay, I've settled on the Theater 4pi because I want to use the Delta 15, and I like the efficiency. Since I'm going to use the Martinelli horns, I'd like to stretch the height (to get the horn to optimal height for seated listening), and decrease the width to keep the volume constant and get closer to the horn width. I figure 40Hx21.5Wx18D will do the trick.

That raises the question of where to place the woofer, and maybe the port. Since the horn will be sitting on top of the cab, I'm thinkin' it should come up quite a ways, but how far? Am I trying to maintain a certain distance from the woofer to horn, or some slighly but not terribly assymetrical arrangement on the cabinet face to distribute (not reinforce) resonances, or . . .?

There will be 3.5" to either side of the woofer, as opposed to 4.5" stock.
So do I want the woofer edge to be 3.5", 4.5", 6" . . . .? away from the top of the 40" cabinet?

Do I need to move the port, or should I leave it where it is?

I assume starting with the stock 1k6@10db xover makes the most sense, since it's the same compression driver, even though it's a different horn flare.

Does any of this make sense? ;-)
Keep your ears and your mind open.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Oops - 4 Pi pro mistake...
Next Topic: Wayne: Recess drivers into baffle to control diffraction?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 21:17:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio