Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Building 2pi Towers - COMPLETE!
Building 2pi Towers - COMPLETE! [message #38688] Thu, 17 October 2002 05:59 Go to previous message
Fresno is currently offline  Fresno
Baron
Whew! They are done except for some minor touch-ups. I hooked them up and I could tell they were out of phase, fortunately it was not wired wrong internally, so I just corrected the left speaker and it was fixed.

A snag I ran into was that the wiring that goes from the binding posts to the driver was not long enough for where I put the binding posts. I had to extend the wires by 23" to make them reach the drivers. That's what really scared me about them being out of phase. I didn't want to have to take them apart to find out I wired them wrong. I guess the wiring included in the kit assumes that the binding posts will be about two feet off the ground. I wanted them at the bottom, it looks better to me.

So how do they sound? They sound very nice, I was expecting more volume since they are more sensitive than the speakers they are replacing but there is an improvement there. I am trying to see if I can get away with having no pre-amp, just a volume control on a tube amp. I'll have to put the pre-amp back into the mix until I build a more powerful amp.

There is far more detail in the sound, I played quite a few favorite tracks and I was picking up a lot more detail in the music that I never heard. The 'reality' of the sound is impressive, the instruments sound much richer and, well, real. The bass was sorely lacking, not sure if this will come with break-in time or if it has something to with the my amp, it is a 6BQ5/6CG7 PP amp.

The imaging was not as 'crisp' as I was hoping, this may be due to finding the right speaker placement through experimentation.

Overall I am happy with the results, break-in/speaker placement/amp changes should cause even greater happiness.

So what is the final tally for labor and parts? It cost a total of $210 for the kits, shipping and materials. It took a total of 26 hours to build them. I spent $130 on tools but that is 'off budget'.

Kit+shippng 120.00
MDF........ 33.00
Glue....... 8.00
Primer..... 7.00
Insulation. 9.00
Screws..... 5.00
Paint...... 17.00
Sandpaper.. 8.00
Braces..... 3.50
TOTAL...... 210.50

Labor - Speaker Box 1 - 16.5 hours
Labor - Speaker Box 2 - 9.5 hours

Tools:

Saber Saw.... 40.00
Circular Saw. 50.00
Carbon Blade. 40.00
TOOLS TOTAL.. 130.00

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Horns Length, Frequency Wave Lengths, And, All That Good Stuff
Next Topic: How long would a 2-3/4" diameter port be for Studio 2pi?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 20:58:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio