Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Time alignmet vrs reality
Time alignmet vrs reality [message #37211] Mon, 08 July 2002 17:46 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

If an orchestra is spread about a stage some 75 feet wide. Are the instruments on one side of the stage in sonic time alignment with the instruments on the other side? I would imagine that some thought has gone into the seating arrangement so that a Piccolo is not right next to a Bass. If a person was to be sitting in the front row of a theater listening to a orchestra. Are the people in the balcony hearing an equal alignment. Both are considered good seats. If the concert was good, everyone leaves happy wishing they could have sound like that in their living rooms.

I'm just curious to how time aligned the actual source is that is recorded. Then, we scrutinize time alignment to the enth degree, only to reproduce what? That would be my real question. How time aligned are the sounds that are recorded in the first place.

Obviously placing a woofer 10 feet from a tweeter is improper, and a bass horn that is 3 meters long would need a touch of delay. much beyond that where is a good place to draw the line.

just some thoughts to ponder (not fight about)

Bill

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: active or passive