Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » R11/R13 Fiberglass Insulation and Environmental Health
Re: R11/R13 Fiberglass Insulation and Environmental Health [message #69351 is a reply to message #35824] Tue, 06 September 2011 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
sippy is currently offline  sippy
Esquire
Hi there,
This is a topic i was going to ask about.........
I work with composites, ie boat building, race car / motor bike body parts and surfboards using both glass and carbon in both open and chop veriety. We in the industry are about as anal as it gets regards handleing / working with these materials. One would think because the cloth is sized to help stability / the bonding process during lay-up would go some ways towards mitigating the issue of loose fibers - WRONG!
Now, obviously the quantity of loose fiber is slightly less in a loudspeaker than in say a 30ft hull, BUT insulation glass is a non sized random mass (for want of a better description) and is downright evil an i personaly wouldnt use it as a speaker stuff.
Obviously there are ways to get around this loose fiber problem:
1. Work outside when doing your stuffing

2. Wear a modicum of safty items - ie use disposable gloves and goggles, 'Ooooo, my eye itches' and you forget and rub it with fibered fingers.

3. IF you have to stuff in a closed space, wear a mask AND NOT ONE OF THOSE PAPER JOBBIES WITH A STRIP OF METAL THAT GOES OVER YOUR NOSE - they do a sum total of nothing regarding protection, get yourself a cheap cartridge filter mask - itll make diy'ing a whole lot more pleasent (buy one befor you make your cabinets out of MDF... considered to ba as evil as f/g)

4. If yo get in a mess (fore-arms are the usual suspect spot) dont wash yerself with warm or hot water as this will open your skins pores and alow fiber ingress, rinse without rubbing with plenty of COLD water, then use detergents.

I'd say if you think about the stuffing stage, you could remove the possibility of the cabinet breathing out loose fibers by sizeing the glass as its installed with realy well watered down pva glue sprayed on useing a plant spray, beforethe stuff goes in. These are dirt cheap - 99 pence in the uk - not a huge drop in the ocean compared to the cost of your spanking new speekers or health.
As for the center of cabinet drape stuffing, could it not be bagged with something like silk or very light nylon lineing material? I dont see any problems with this idea other than slightly more effort......

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message