Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Are all screw-on piezo horn drivers similar ?
Are all screw-on piezo horn drivers similar ? [message #33109] Fri, 30 March 2001 13:32 Go to previous message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
Dear Wayne and group -

I tested a Chinese piezo driver on an exponential horn having a mouth ~3.5" by 13.5" with a throat to mouth path of about 5.5".

the graphs I made on and ~20 degrees off axis show the low end to go to about 2.2Khz then dropping off like a rock below (maybe 8th order? - probably a combo of piezo mechanical resonance and horn cutoff) -a mid power dip around 4Khz then a peak about 12Khz perhaps 9dB followed by a similar amplitude dip - after that the response goes out nicely to 20Khz wihtout much rolloff - the upper peak & dip - maybe result of phase plug?

anyhow - do all piezo drivers basically follow this type of response on this type horn? - just curious how to improve these things (I don't think hte heat-sealed driver can be easily disassembled)- the sound is "good' - would think "better" if the piezo driver was more "sophisticated" - but - I think this import driver can sometimes be sourced for $1 - hard to beat at that price!

Freddy

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Bellingham?
Next Topic: Probable dumb question - Where's the midrange driver?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 07:30:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio