Home » Audio » Group Build » SE 300B Project, Part 13 - The finished amp
Re: SE 300B Project, Part 13 - The finished amp [message #31922 is a reply to message #31921] Mon, 10 July 2006 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi, thanks, and welcome to the forum!

We need about 50Vrms (70Vp) to "drive" 300B to the full power. With CCS-ed driver triode (and high impedance 300B grid choke as a load), we have the "driver" amplification practically equal to the µ, or theoretical amplification factor (very close).
In the case of E180F in triode - A = µ ~ 50, or input sensitivity for the full power is 1 Vrms. Although C3g specs said µ~40, my "Siemens" tubes have µ~50, again - input sens. is 1Vrms. (If we`d have a tube with "right" µ=40 spec, then sens. would be 50/40= 1,25Vrms).
D3a has larger amplification, A=µ~75, and then input sensitivity is about 0,7Vrms.

Unfortunately, I have no EC8010, and didn`t try them. But, (based on its data) I expect it to be the similar like other high-gm "candidates" above, and others I tried (6C45Pi, E280F trioded).
If you have some EC8010 on hands, the best you can do is to try it for yourself. Use CCS, Ia~10mA, Rk=220-250 Ohms bypassed with 220µF (MKP of 100µF at least reccomended) - like your starting point. Beware that this tube has g1 connected on five pins... I`d use grid-stop resistor (say 100...220 Ohms, CC) on every input pin. Based on the specs, you can expect A=µ=60 times, or input sensitivity of 50/60 = 0,83Vrms. Adjust Ia (or Rk if necessary) to have Ua about 200V. Seriously, only you`d can say about "sound" in your system, and like/dislike factors :-).
You can expect rel. large input capacitance, unfortunately.

Do you have some parts (tubes, transformers, etc.), or you are still in "various schematics" phase?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Any new project ideas for winter?
Next Topic: Spare me some IXP10M45S ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 07:09:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout