Home » Audio » Group Build » SE 300B Project, Part 13 - The finished amp
Re: SE 300B Project, Part 13 - The finished amp [message #31919 is a reply to message #31918] Mon, 03 July 2006 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey, thanks...I also worked on high temperature and humidity...huh.
The whole saturday afternoon and evening I drilled over 300 holes in the lower cover (ventilation)...first fi 3mm, then enlarge them to 4,5mm, then de-burring...
This is more tin-smith then electronic work, haha...
When I was finished, I mounted the lover cover (tightly), mounted 5 feets (weight!), and bring the amp in the main room. Just listening the music when I have some time - I`m tired of tinkering :-).
The sound is very good, little on the "soft and warm" side, but not too much that we can say "colored"... Clean, detailed, very nice! I think that it just started to "open up". Interestingly, two guys with large experience in the amps building privately suggested me 300h burn-in like their experience. They don`t like the forums, I don`t blame them...
I measured 5,7 & 6,6 mV of hum on speaker terminals - not overly good, but probably normal for the stereo amp with very small steel chasis. Most of this hum comes from the AC heating, and a little from electromagnetic interactions. Even shorted input grid on 300B doesn`t change the level of hum. Interestingly, one "Svetlana" tube with the hum pot in the middle shows almost 50mV of humm- large "off center"! I needed large turn of hum pot to find the minimum hum. However, the hum isn`t noticeable in the listening position, but people with very sensitive speakers better use bigger chasis of non-magnetic metal, monobloc construction, partitions, and DC heating like reccomendable option.
I`ll do some other measurements, when I find some time. And yes - the amp weights exactly 20 kg ...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Any new project ideas for winter?
Next Topic: Spare me some IXP10M45S ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 12:49:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout