Home » Audio » Group Build » tried the 6688
Re: tried the 6688 [message #31905 is a reply to message #31904] Tue, 20 June 2006 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
Yea, I was expecting a subtle difference between the two types. But no, it sounds like someone put a wet blanket over the speakers, only with less bass. The best way to describe it is it sounds like the tubes were thoroughly worn out and then some. I am sure that they are new, they test fine and each on there own sound the same.

I tried them at the same OP as the D3a, Ia 9.5ma, Va 192, Vgk of 2.2V. these Measured with the D3a. the cathode is still not bypassed. will try that down the line. I have a 1k cc, g1 stopper, and a pair of 460 cf for the cathode. I did not detect any oscillations with the D3a. I did not check but would expect less trouble with the lower mu tube.

The D3a setup, as it breaks in is sounding very nice. I will at some point try a different cathode scheme and will keep my eye out for another set of 180’s . I will continue to try them as I make changes…John

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: SE 300B Project, Part 12 - C3g driver
Next Topic: C3g & D3a
Goto Forum: