Home » Audio » Group Build » A few measurements
Re: About 50W with 4xEL34 in UL... :-) [message #31897 is a reply to message #31895] Sun, 04 June 2006 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
Like I have said, these amps so far, have never quite done everything I have hoped. It has never been a fault of the transformers. They have great extension. I have had wonderful bass, shimmering highs and liquid mids, just not always at the same time.

The Current project is showing good promise. Once (if ever) I get a baseline circuit I will experiment more with the transformers.

In the mean time, to answer some of your questions. When I first built these they were a direct copy of the FI primer. As my speakers are 16 ohm, I set the transformers to 3.6k-16. I later changed to 5.6k-16 so that I could connect 8 ohm speakers. At the time, with the rather soft sounding topology, I did not hear much of a difference between the two tappings. As I do not seem to need every last bit of power , I have left it there. I still take it to meetings were 8 ohms is the norm.

These amps are once again in a state of change, no thanks to you my friend.
It will be some time until I can get back to transformer experiments.

But I do have a set of James transformers and maybe a set of ElectraPrint to try. So ‘don’t touch that dial’…John

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: But I'm still on step 9...
Next Topic: The bass is back.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 23:13:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout