Home » Audio » Group Build » Amps
generalizations [message #30723 is a reply to message #30722] Sat, 26 February 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I must say that I feel this is one generalization too far:

"Painting with broad strokes here. SE and PP each have different characteristics. SE will give you a midrange, vocals, that are to die for. Getting the frequency extremes right requires more attention to detail. 2nd harmonics dominate and this is very pleasing to the ear."

Or from a more personal standpoint, I have built PP which meets the description you apply to SE. PP built with the same level of care and attention to detail which got SE the reputation just ascribed to it is a step above anything else I have *EVER* heard.

I have heard just as much 2nd-rate SE as PP. I don't think anybody is interested in creating 2nd-rate *ANYTHING*. Since I have a few amps built with a general topology with similar results, I can with reasonable confidence sugest a general recipe. I am also around to support this suggestion, in small detail.

I do not disagree that SE has sounded different from PP. I do feel that this is likely from some contribution as outlined by our fast Cat...that it is only part of the story is also one of my conclusions. there are evidently folks who wnat what ever it is that SE adds. That is OK with me. I am not in the business of telling folks what to listen to( or for, or indeed even is a business ).

remember, until it can be ascertained what the difference is, most of this is speculation anyway. Finding a reasonable explanation for one's own personal preference is what this journey is about for me.
regards,
Douglas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message