Home » Audio » Group Build » Schematic - first version
Re: 6X4 rectifier? [message #30165 is a reply to message #30164] Thu, 20 January 2005 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Welllll, for the rectifier, I'd pick the 6CA4 for top of the 9-pin heap. It is not the least expensive though. Two damper diodes, like 6W4 or 6AX4 are ~$2 each, the 6AX5 is a twin diode like the 6CA4 and is octal. More room around the socket pins for certain, and not too expensive either.

For construction ease, a step drill is easy to get that can make a proper sized hole for a 9-pin. A hole saw or hole punch for the octals are the two simplest means.

If I had to pick one, I'd say 6CA4. If I weren't slightly over the voltage ratings for this tough little valve, I'd use it for rev. 5.

The 8039 choke is ~$75. If you are willing to limit yourself to 10 mA per chanel maximum draw, and not do the shunt reg, you can get by with the little Hammond. The 8039 will leave you room to expand, and will work quite well all the way down to about 10 mA of load, which is ~half the design goal of 10 mA per channel.
regards,
Douglas

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message