Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Non Metalic Chassis
Re: Non Metalic Chassis [message #29948 is a reply to message #29947] Wed, 21 November 2007 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Thanks for the insight Wayne. So besides possible estehetics, there can be technical advantages to using chassis that don't propogate eddy curents. I guess one of the things that peaked my interest in this is that I consider myself a better wood worker than metal worker. On top of that, seems to me many of us are out buying large maple and other wood blocks, specail ebony feet, etc. to help improve the "sound" of metal chassis (ringing, etc). So why not start with the end in mind (ala Covey) and begin w/wood? Granted, the material thickness is more of an issue to deal with in mounting components designed for a 0.065 thickness... but can be over come. One of the nice tings about the thickness is that under-chassis screws can easily be hidden, whereas on a metal box they must stick through. I think my next project will be an Eams style chassis.. now, now to bend Baltic Birch?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Octal Phono
Next Topic: any stocks of Live Oak up north?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 01:20:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio