Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Newbee Tools
Gotch ya' [message #29898 is a reply to message #29895] Sat, 24 March 2007 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bob had an excellent suggestion for the left-hand drive circ saw. Get a good blade and an accurate square. Saw boards are easy to make and work great. Another option is to call cabinet shops and see wht they'll charge per cut. You might be very surprised how inexpensive some will be. You might also see if there's a woodworker's club in your area. Craigslist.com (if in your area) would be a great place to post requests.

Compound miter saws are nice for trim work or cutting small widths. Sliding cpd. miter saws give a bit more cutting width but are expensive. I have a DeWalt 706 (12" dual tilt, non-sliding) and I love it. This rides in my truck everywhere I go and has not been knocked out of alignment yet.

Would I recommend Dewalt for the average guy? Maybe. There are very nice non-precision tools to be had at a fraction of the cost. For example: My workhorse cordless drill cost me $20 at a grocery store. It's a no-name 24V drill that has two gears and a hammer function. I thought for the money I could use it a couple of months and toss it when it dies. Well, two years later I finally toated the low gear setting when running a 2' long 3/4" bit through 8" of solid wood (I was running electric through a coffered beam.) I think I got my $20 worth.

As for circ saws, I have a B&D and a couple of Chicago brand (Harbor Freight.) I cannot tell the difference. I don't use quality blades, since they are for rough framing. Again, go with what Bob said.

My table saw is a Grizzly G0575 with a thin-kerf Freud combo blade. I've had about 6 months, but just last week had a chance to really use it. This saw makes a hack like me look good. I must have stared at the first box I made for over an hour. I could not believe the joints. They were all dead on. I'll post pics on the Pi forum later tonight. I'm anxious to show off my work.

You're right about the screws. Use them (or biscuits) on all joints. I mention the brad gun strickly from a home improvement stand point. If you're doing trim work (crown, chair rail, etc) the good ones will leave a nice little hole where the nail went in. Cheaper ones will tend to shatter the wood, even at a lower PSI setting. Porter Cble makes a nice two gun/compressor combo that is just fun to use.

If you know what you want, check Amazon.com for really good deals. Hope this helps......Colin

PS. I've rehab'd a number of condos. Nothing dress them up like trim work. Put some trim up watch the SAF go way up. The'll be begging you to buy more tools ....C

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Hand drill has a stuck chuck
Next Topic: Anyone using biscuits when building speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 19:09:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio