Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Fianally got a decent table saw
Re: First thing you can build [message #29761 is a reply to message #29760] Mon, 17 July 2006 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Crosscut sled is a pretty common item so there's lots of info on the net and in magazines. I built mine from info from an old Fine Woodworking video tape on Tablesaw Basics. Bill Fitzmaurice sells a plan for one for a few dollars on his website.

For runners, I used UHMW strips from Lee Valley. They're cut to fit exactly into the standard-sized mitre slots. They slide wells and don't bulge when you put a screw through them. I used hardwood as runners on my first sled and had to deal with change in temperature and humidity (I don't have a shop. I work outdoors.) Rockler or Woodcraft should carry UHMW runners too.

Most of your time will be spent adjusting the near fence so it's square to the cut. Trial and error, and a lot of patience. Goes without saying that before building the sled, blade has to be 100% parallel to the mitre slots.

Once you get used to using a sled, you'll want to build a family of them. One for mitre cuts. One for 45 degree bevels. One for dado blades. etc.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Windex Clean&Shine for Wipe-on
Next Topic: Double Half-Caf Extra Hot Dry Grande Speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 17:56:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio