Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Tuba18 Sub
Re: Clarification [message #29614 is a reply to message #29613] Wed, 14 September 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, the Theatre 3-PI I mention is a 2-way. I've been using mine for HT for over a year now and as mentioned in another thread, am very happy with it without augmentation with a subwoofer. I don't think it goes down all the way, but with a little bass-boost from the receiver, should satisfy a lot of users. In fact, I think the Theatre 3-PI might even go down lower than most mass marketed powered-subs you find in big-box stores.

Wayne, I think your recommendation with the LAB-12 in a BR is interesting in that it represents a great excercise to compare and contrast it with the T18.

In terms of box size, the 3.5 ft^3 you suggested for the LAB-12 is slightly larger than the 3 ft^3 of the T18, but for practical comparison, let's call them equal.

Where I see the two differ is that the LAB-12 sub relies on high quality and more expensive components (driver and amp) to perform while the T18 shifts performance responsibility to the cabinet.

LAB-12 BR = Big driver + High powered amp + simple box
T18 = Small driver + Low powered amp + complex box

If you're someone with the skills, tools and time to put together a T18 cabinet, you can save over $200 compared to the LAB-12 route. But it's not a simple cabinet to build and time is a scarce resource. For a lot of people, the extra cost of a sub like the LAB-12 BR is well worth it. I bet that if cabinets were sourced to a builder, both options would net out to approx the same amount.

Just some numbers I used for the comparison above:
T18: $50 driver, $75 amp, wood $60
LAB-12: $150 driver, $250 amp, wood $30

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message