Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Tuba18 Sub
How does it sound? [message #29609 is a reply to message #29608] Tue, 13 September 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Lon,

I work outdoors and even then, MDF dust is a problem. Last I heard, you'll working with a rotary-tool instead of a real router, which can't be easy. Honestly, I don't recommend this T18 as a first project unless you have a lot of patience, willingness to learn, enjoy the process, and time to spend on it. For the right person, this can be a great and enjoyable learning experience. For others, it might be better for them to build a bass-reflex design.

Below is a thread where I worked with Bill to toubleshoot my T18. The thread contains the amp and driver used. I found the sub to be sensitive to placement and settings, but not difficult to set up.

I don't have a lot of benchmarks to judge how the T18 as I have no prior experience with other dedicated self-powered subs. I found the T18 to be a great match for my Studio One-PI's and also can go low enough to augment my Theatre 3-PI's for home theatre. There's plenty of headroom to match high eff speakers. With the PI speakers, gain setting on the plate amp was only at the 1 o'clock position.

In my rooms (and bass is very sensitive to rooms), I found the bass to be more laidback than forceful, enough to provide a foundation but not drawing attention to itself. I think some people would be very disappointed by this as it has very low "wow-factor" in its sound. For me, I'm more than happy to trade in "wow-factor" for livability, which this T18 has plenty of. It's hard to tell it's there, but you'll notice when it's not.

I would rate the output of the T18 to be better than my Theatre 3-PI but poorer than my JBL 2235H cabinets. The JBL goes deeper and sounds better than the T18, but the JBL's sit in 5 cubic ft cabinets and each driver costs $300-$350 used.

I think the T18 is a competent sub that's able to give very good performance with a $30-$50 driver in a relatively small package. If you enjoy woodworking, it's a fun project to build, but you've got to enjoy the process. Also, the design has high cool-factor and can certainly be a converation starter. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a novelty design because it does deliver on performance and value.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message