Home » Audio » Craftsmen » 2 pi tower baffles
Re: I'm going to reveal a closely guarded secret! [message #29574 is a reply to message #29571] Wed, 03 August 2005 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I may still do something commercial with this but here's the best reason to double the baffle:
Muse the Cat, a.k.a. Cujo forced me to cover the 2226's whenever I wasn't in the room. I went thru a lot of tape and cardboard. And inconvenience.
I kept thinking about the pair of 15" metal grilles I had from the 3677 project but I couldn't embrace the horror of screwing them on with those great big ugly clamps.
Then it hit me! Remove the rubber surround from the grill thereby exposing the metal edges and YES! Some of the cross hatches lined up with the mounting holes. I backed out 4 screws and attached the grill.
It looks great and Cujo has gone after easier prey.

Fabric stretched across just the driver cut out also looks really good as BillFort has done. Elecktratigs speakers with the hardwood surround to the baffle is awesome.
As for the glue, Terry Cain, 'whose hands we trust' opined that a squiggle zig-zag of glue is just fine for laminating panels. That's what I've always done making flattened "Z's" and then rubbing the 2 surfaces to get a surface tension attraction, then simply driving home a buncha screws. Countersunk, of course.
How 'bout that lamp?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Matching Colour with Wood