Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Tung Oil - How to?
Tung Oil - How to? [message #29436] Fri, 08 April 2005 12:30 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I made a little sign for GPAF and I'm wiping tung oil on it to finish it. So I want to hear from the experts if I'm doing it right.

What I did was to ask Brad to give me a piece of scrap walnut from one of the midhorns, and I took it to a CNC shop to cut my logo into it. I put a sheet of adhesive plastic on it as a mask and had them cut through that so I could paint the letters silver. Then I peeled off the mask to expose the walnut, and I'm rubbing tung oil into it. I thought it might be a good practice for me, since the only time I ever used tung oil was for touch up. This time, I wanted to see what uyou guys do to finish something properly.

It's like wiping on vegetable oil or something, almost like water. I just use a cloth and wipe the stuff on in a very thin coat. I watch the reflection at an angle to see when the coat is uniform, then I go away for a few minutes. Maybe ten or fifteen minutes later, I come back and do it again.

The first coat darkened the grain a little, just like I had moistened it with water. But the grain absorbs it and makes it look like you haven't done anything except darken it a tad. It took probably 20 coats before I could even tell it was holding a finish. Now it's starting to get a little shiny, but it seems like it will take 100 coats like this. That's no problem, it's easy, I just wipe it on. It's no more difficult than wiping a counter with a sponge. I rub it in a little, but it isn't like polishing a car or anything, it's more like just wiping it on.

Is that what I'm supposed to do? It looks good, but is this the way tung oil is generally used?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message