Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Need Options for Router Table
Need Options for Router Table [message #29366] Wed, 12 January 2005 15:01 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm founding myself at a point where the projects I want to do and the way that I want to do them are limited by the lack of a router table. Using a router freehand is straightforward when building speaker cabinets as the panels are large enough for me to clamp on guides. Besides, with the size of cabinets I worked on over the summer, it makes more sense to guide a router over the cabinets rather than push a cabinet across a router table. However, with smaller projects, it's a different story.

The table would not be something I'll use just once or twice a year. Frame building from scratch is something I'd like to pick up and I have a lot of photos I've hand printed over the year that can use a home. I've used the Veritas rounter table during my courses with Lee Valley and would love to own one. But at over $400 for the system, it's not going to happen soon (damn that large screen TV I got over the holidays!).

So here are the questions:
- Are there ways for me to accurately edge, bead, groove and generally work with small pieces without a router table? We're talking about 1x2 and 1x3 pieces.
- If a table is what I need, should I consider building my own or just purchase one of the portable tables from Vermont American or Wolfcraft for $150?
- Are the portable tables from Vermont American or Wolfcraft sufficient or is there a need to go the whole ten yards with a Freud or Veritas?

thanks,
gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Using Hole Saw w/o Center Bit