Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Couple of Poly questions
Re: Polly-urethane [message #29197 is a reply to message #29194] Sun, 08 August 2004 18:12 Go to previous message
Auntie Polly is currently offline  Auntie Polly
Esquire
I think this is a deja vu thread; didn't I just read that?
Bill had the method for sanding down the urethane for a fine finish. I never tried for fine with urethane. You might go back and do the wet sanding as described. If it were solid wood I would say take it down with a belt sander but it's veneer as I recall so you can't do that.
These certainly won't be the last speakers you build so maybe you should enjoy them and think about an oil based finish for next time.Good 'ole Watco applied with the Tage Frid (He just passed on BTW, G-d rest his soul) method gives outstanding results. Best is my and every other pro woodworkers Grand dad's method for Tung oil in 6 easy steps. It's at the URL. There's also a video you can buy from Taunton Press that features Frank Klaus, "now we apply the Warnish" using much the same technique. They also have one with Jim Minnick who discusses the chemistry of various film and penetrating finishes from a chemists a pro finishers POV.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: First routing experiences less than rousing
Next Topic: Whats everyone building?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 07:26:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio