Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Finished PI
Re: Routers [message #29093 is a reply to message #29092] Tue, 25 May 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I selected my router based on several criteria:

- The particular model received best value and readers' choice in a recent tools review issue of Fine Woodworking. The sales guy also also recommended the Bosch unit. I know I shouldn't select equipment based on magazine reviews, but since I don't have the opportunity to test various models, I have to rely on something.

- You can always use a plunge router as a fixed base, but you can't use a fixed base rounter as a plunge. Mind you, a plunge router is larger and a bit more ackward to install into a table than its fixed base counterpart, but it's not impossible to do. So the decision between fixed-base and plunge was an easy one for me.

- The idea of interchangable base was very appealing to me. Two routers for the price of one! But after picking a number of different models up, I found the ergonomics of them compromised. Dedicated plunge rounters had features that an interchangable plunge didn't have. Because most of my work will be done in a plunging setup, the dedicated plunge made sense.

- Some of the features that sold me on my unit were: A trigger-style on-off switch right on the grip handle; no need to take your hands off. Plunge lock right by your thumb. Micro-plunge adjustment. Variable speed (some Dewalt units are still fixed speed). Soft start, so the router doesn't torque in your hand.

About getting a cheap unit, I've never reget getting more tool than I need. But I've experience plenty of frustration with cheap tools. Nothing kills the joy of a project faster than tools that are slow or don't work. Besides, a router's a very versatile tool, and once you get one, you'll find plenty of used for it. This coming from a guy who bought his first a week a go ;-)

BTW, invest in quality bits. You'll need them if you plan on chewing through material like 1" MFD. I've played around with my buddy's "cheap" bits on my router before I bough my own and there's a big difference between speed and quality of cut.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message