Home » Audio » General » Initial Listening Impressions of Yamaha ca-1010
Re: Initial Listening Impressions of Yamaha ca-1010 [message #26192 is a reply to message #26191] Fri, 17 September 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks AK; In the third paragraph you state that SET's cause a reaction with the speakers but If you re-read the post I wrote SS not SET's. However Right now I am using both the Pi Theater 4's and my Altec Valencias for serious listening. Understand these comments have accrued from many years and many types of loudspeakers resulting in these opinion's and of course bias's. Check the EAR site, Tim DePavaracini; the designer has a good rep. The EL-859 produces measured IM and THD comparable to many high quality PP and even SS amps. It is rock solid on the bass and not sensitive to uneven impedance loads. For years before I decided that if this was going to be a hobby, then by definition it required I learn and build rather than purchase; I used Spendor SP1's and Klipsch Cornwalls with the EL 859. But now things have changed, therefor the kits and homebrew I have experienced of course leading up to the ultimate transmitting triode SE amp I am studying to build.
This by way of background, please excuse the redundency and tiresome cataloguing of equipment on my part.
In the cathode bias statements I refer to the capacitor bypass across the bias resistor. If you observe any typical SE schematic you should see that one leg of the transformer is fed from the bypass capacitor thereby forming a feedback loop. Although It may be possible to do w/o I have never seen that cap eliminated from any cathode bias scheme.
The Solid state amps I can listen to for more than 10 minutes have all been class A operated. Threshold and Nakamichi Stasis were the amps I am familiar with although I think Nelson Pass uses Class A in his amp.
The term Neutral to me implies that the amplifier; or any link in the chain reproduces sound that does not deviate from the recorded master tape. Is that an acceptable definition? Thanks again and thank you for the compliment in expressing interest in my humble attempt at reviewing the Stoetkit; following the excellent efforts of Yourself and Phil and Wayne I must admitt I am somewhat intimidated. Very good and thorough post by Thermionic, had I seen it before my previous post I would have desisted since he has dealt with much of what I have said. This is good stuff and very helpfull.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message