Home » Audio » Measurement » Soundcard worries
Soundcard worries [message #25262] Sun, 03 February 2008 05:47 Go to previous message
Ed Form is currently offline  Ed Form
Esquire
I'm having trouble with generating pure sinewaves from my EMU 1616M for audio measurement purposes and I'm unsure if I'm asking too much of the unit or if the unit is actually broken.

I want to output sinewaves at higher sampling frequencies and bit depths than the normal 44.1 or 48KHz/16Bit that built in soundcards can typically manage and I need to do this in the Windows WAVE system because all of the audio measurement software I have access to runs in that system. I've tried a number of software generators, from the usual freeware applications, to the generators built into audio measurement software, including some pretty expensive products. In each case the output is fine at 44.1 and at 48KHz but when I switch to 96KHz or 192KHz the output effectively turns into a train of tonebursts which sound absolutely awful. I can send a JPeg of a typical trace if anyone wants to see it.

If I change to the ASIO system and run the little freeware application ASIOSigGen I get absolutely beautiful sinewaves - again there's a trace available if anyone would like to see it

Is what I'm seeing a fundamental limitation in the WAVE system or does it indicate that my 1616M is broken -has misbehaving drivers - or what other explanation might there be?

Ed Form

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Radio Shack SPL meter
Next Topic: Neutrik Microphone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:02:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects