Home » Audio » Speaker » Jim's dirty little secret..... Help from the master...
Jim's dirty little secret..... Help from the master... [message #23165] Wed, 06 September 2006 22:16 Go to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
"The dirty little secret of line arrays is that the woofer line amplitude response starts rolling off at a frequency that is about 1/2 wavelength spacing center to center. In other words I lied when I said that the crossover could be at one WL spacing in my white paper. Measurements of the array would tell the truth. Hence, you'll need a cross under 2,000 Hz for sure."

What are the parameters of the secret?

How many line arrays are designed with bi-or tri- amping, active constant Q equalizers, and electronic crossovers(digital or analog)? And....does this secret more effect the passive cross than the active with bi multi amping and equalization, via room mic-ing?

Is it affected by the slope of the crossover? So that, would a cross of 48 db or 24 db electronically show less impact than one with all the "stuff" in a passive one?

And if one is aware of this phenom, then would it not behoove the individual builder to choose a mid/woof with a natural or available rise in amplitude in the crossover region, in a circumstance where the C-to-c is not optimal for 1/2 a wave length and is more like 3/4 a wavelength?

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Comparison to Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams with our DIY?
Next Topic: Time delay revisited
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 00:55:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout