Home » Audio » Speaker » Re: Array driver question
Re: Array driver question [message #22983 is a reply to message #22982] Tue, 18 April 2006 21:02
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master

Jose,

I like your ambition to try to tackle a design like this. My preference vs. the Nola application would be to use a longer array (a true near field line array) with 4 to 6 inch diameter midranges from 80 to 100 Hz and then cross them over to the ribbon line in the 1800-2500 Hz area. You are thinking of some very nice drivers and I'm sure that your project will yield great sound.

I'm suggesting something along the lines of my latest line array which is shown in the photo. It uses 9 Aurum Cantus G3i-130 (similar to the Fountek NeoCD2.0 ribbons) and 12 Creative Sound CSS WR125S (you don't need the FR125S as you aren't going full range with the mid-ranges) per side. On the low end I would suggest at least two separate stereo subwoofers (say 12 inch diameter or more subs depending on your room size and how much bass you seek) to fill-in below the mid-ranges. The Fountek ribbons and the CSS WR125S mids will play very nicely with each other. I'm using an active DEQX 3-way digital crossover and a multichannel amplifier with my arrays.

My white paper talks about the benefits of a near field line array vs. just a line array.

Jim

Previous Topic: Folded Horn Bracing
Next Topic: array impedance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 20:59:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers