Home » Audio » Speaker » Open Space in a ported cabinet
Open Space in a ported cabinet [message #22820] Mon, 26 September 2005 21:21 Go to previous message
Eric J is currently offline  Eric J
Viscount
Assuming that you need an open space leading to the port in a ported cabinet, are there any calculations that define the volume of the required open space?

I'm using a ported design for the tubular midranges in my array. The mids are the 3 inch Sammi's that used to be available from PE, and they are placed in a 4 inch PVC tube about 22 inches long. The tube has a volume of 287 cu inches, and the port is tuned to 66hz, which is 1 inches in diameter and 2.13 inches in length.

I have no intention of asking the Sammi's to produce sound much below about 100hz, since they cross to the sub at about 125hz with a 24 db/octave active slope.

In fact, the only reason I'm using the ported enclosure is because the modeling shows them to be essentially flat to the 66hz turn of the port.

If I arrange to have an interior tube of about the same diameter of the port tube but using chicken wire or perforated plastic running from the speaker to the port to keep the internal fiberglass in place, would that work? Or would that be too much fiberglass in the cabinet?

eric j.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Tapering Articulated Arrays
Next Topic: Montana KAS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 00:17:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio