Home » Audio » Speaker » FR Measurments of Line Arrays
Re: Most of the discussion centers [message #22696 is a reply to message #22694] Tue, 28 June 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you about speaking to your audience, no matter what you are discussing. So I appreciate Jim's ability to describe a technical subject in non-technical terms.

I mentioned three frequency ranges where arrays act differently. One is very low frequencies, where all drivers in the array are within 1/4 wavelength of each other. The next is where adjacent drivers are within 1/4 wavelength, but the array length is greater than 1/4 wavelength. And then the next is when each driver is further than 1/4 wavelength from each other.

There are also room interactions. The floor acts as a reflector, so your lowest driver acts like there is one below it, twice the distance to the floor. The whole array is mirrored that way. The array's directionality at high frequencies tends to mitigate this, but as frequency goes down, it becomes more apparent. And if the array is positioned too close to a side wall, that will reflect it too, acting like a horizontal array.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: tweeter horns in the line array?
Next Topic: Opinion on the Fe127e
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 07:56:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout