Home » Audio » General » Blind testing and what I would like to see done...
Re: You don't understand why DBT's [message #2136 is a reply to message #2133] Thu, 25 August 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Mr. Brines allow me to state catagorically that in as far as audio goes you do not appear in any way to be a "fool". I ask your indulgence because it is apparent that a conversation like this will never happen outside of ART and as such is a priviledge for me at least to participate.
This cannot be an argument because I personally have no standing upon which to argue. I hold no advanced degree in Psycho-Acoustics or Physics and therefor rely solely on personal observation and extensive listening experience and exposure. My only reason for being hear is a love of music and home reproduction.
If I read you correctly we seem to be at agreement at times and disagreement at other times in the discussion.
It would seem to me that to assign differences in sound implies ranking's; in order to have a difference you must have a quality descision that implicates the difference.
If I gave the impresssion that I personally required expected results I have mis-lead readers of the post. As per standard test procedure I would not know if a tube or SS device was used. Since there would have to be a certified difference between components to make the test of any use and since obviously one can hear the difference between tube and SS gear that alone seems to me to negate the purpose of the test; hence it follows my statement that the test is useless for any meaningfull conclusions.
Program material; here we agree. I posted a while back concerning a session I was at where the SD speaker at test reproduced some material consisting of modern pop jazz/vocals and light chamber music to a startlingly musical level. But had a hard time with very good and well recognised recordings of older jazz and more complex classical stuff.
That is what piqued my interest. The vast gap between ability regarding musical choice.
My likes; I listen to tubes and vinyl but have SS and CD on hand. I listen to tubes and vinyl but that doesn't mean I like it; they are a PITA and expensive. I would much rather spend money on something else.
Shootouts; well I can see some value because after all; there you are truth be told, I mean at some point you have to race the horse.
So thanks first of all for taking this little opinion of mine seriously because I assure you I do yours.
Then in simple language I don't believe the DBT tell's you anything at all; I think was what I was trying to say originally and it almost sounds like we agree on that point.
I have referenced my personal beliefe in a reference standard for all things of quality. I hold that beliefe sincerely and without question. I think everyone knows what sounds good intrinsically, that while you may prefer one musical sounding unit to another the same as you would enjoy piano sonata's more so than violin concerto's you will always recognise a good unit from a weak one. I think that is a function of human nature and it is why we have it all over measurement systems and blind testing when it comes to deciding issues of sound/art/architecture etc. to be able to make those distinctions that unite opinions into critical determinants of universal value.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Tascam 133
Next Topic: Hey Charlie, man are you out there?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 20:37:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio