Home » Audio » Speaker » Garage Sales Find
Garage Sales Find [message #21509] Sat, 27 May 2006 12:40 Go to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You've got to check out what I ended up with from a garage sale today. I was strolling through a street sale this morning and a set old DIY speakers caught my eye. The cabinet was old, dirty and ugly. There was also no way for me to see what was inside without unscrewing the back panel, which I counld do at the time.

I told the lady I wasn't interested in buying. I already have too many speakers at home. She told me I could have it for free. It was getting late and I was the only one to have shown any interest in them. They were her husband's and have been sitting in the garage for years. Just them, my wife walked by and gave her blessing, so in they went into the car. In the car, I realized that in addition to being dirty and ugly, the speakers were also smelly.

At home, the first thing I did was check for impedence. Didn't want to hook up an amp if they were shorted. Both measured 13 ohms. I took my gainclone and iPod outside to the speakers, hooked them up and was wow-ed by the sound. At this point, I was very curious to see what was inside. It took about 25 minutes to work the rusted screws off the back of one of the cabinets. The back panel was marked April 1961, which I assume was when these speakers were built.

Click on the link to see inside.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message