Home » Audio » Speaker » Lowthers DX2: First Impressions
Lowthers DX2: First Impressions [message #20873] Tue, 03 May 2005 22:25 Go to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
In Bob Brines's box (using I think Martin King's findings & calculations).
My impressions:
First, I am really glad Bob gave us all a chance to listen to Lowthers. My first time ever.

The driver clearly is temperamental (in other words peaks ). However, it sounds WAY clearer than the fostexes (16X series) and has the nice midrange that my Stephens trusonics has, but even better detail. I can see a Lowther playing a role in my next speaker project (though probbaly not full range). My guess is that in the 100-150 to 3500 range these are great! There are some peaks that still need to be tamed even in that range. Overall, a phenomenal driver!

BTW, the driver sounded great in Bob Brines' box & with the circuit used. Kudos to Bob for actually taking Martin's work & commercializing it in a value offering. The Lowther sounded great in that box, with reasonable bass (though you will need a sub for true extension, and proably a tweeter). Overall a wonderful driver and a very good implementation by Bob Brines!
-akhilesh

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: DQ-10 speakers
Next Topic: Ready on the firing range (pic)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 06:36:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio