Home » Audio » General » Post Shopping Advice
Post Shopping Advice [message #1914] Fri, 24 June 2005 11:18 Go to previous message
s7on3d is currently offline  s7on3d
Esquire
Ok, so after going around to a bunch of shops, I found a setup I REALLY like, but I don't think I can afford it. I need some help with that...

So as far as an amp goes, I think I'm basically decided on a Harman-Kardon AVR 235. I know I said $150, and Stereo, but I heard this amp as stereo, then as a surround amp, and it sounded so good... I think I've fallen in love with the extra lower-midrange in the H/Ks that gives a warmer feeling. I tried it with a bunch of speakers and after around 3 hours found a setup that fits me.

I tried to find a pair of bookshelfs with distinct treble, mids, and expecially good clean bass. I have decided that it just doesn't exist. The Bose 201s were my front-runners for a while (I know it's a sin around here, but they sounded good) thanks to their clear highs and VERY defined lows, even overtaking the 301s by miles. But, alas they REALLY lacked in mids. I tried a bunch of others, but nothing had the lows of the bose, or any better highs.

Then I found the Infinity Beta 10s. These speakers have VERY clear, defined, beautiful highs and mids, but no bass whatsoever, so my only choice was to go towards a surround amp so I could add some bass with a subwoofer.

We hooked it all up, then as a sub I connected the Earthquake Sub80. Together, the only thing I can say is WOW. Everything sounded amazing, from smooth Jazz to Classical. Fusion to Rock. At one point, I would have sworn that the Red Hot Chilli Peppers were playing right there in the room with me.

Now for my qestion. As you can see, my budget has gone up, with the H/K at $350, the Beta 10s at $229 and the sub at $250, the cost has more than doubled to $830. The amp's a keeper. Too good to let it go, and my dad may be willing to pitch in since in the future it could become the home theater receiver for our house. I like the Beta 10s too much to let them go either. So the question is, how do I get a cheaper sub? I know absolutely nothing about subs, and I have no plans of pumping it up to full power (as is the custom among the local Rap and R&B fans). It's a very powerful sub at 250 watts, and honestly I don't think I need that much power. I hat subs that "boom", I want it to subtley add bass without giving any "boom-boom" grief. I want clean lows. VERY clean. Even Tight. Got any advice?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Same great music on Vinyl vs. CD...
Next Topic: we 53A condenser mic power
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 15:07:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout