Home » Audio » Speaker » ?Horn Questions?
?Horn Questions? [message #19099] Tue, 13 February 2007 23:38 Go to previous message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
The following subject was partially explored on another forum.

What kinds of results might be expected if a cone driver were simply flush-mounted from the front of a conical horn, so that the driver's overall diameter becomes the throat area? This would be in opposition to the usual practice of mounting the driver to the backside of a more restrictive throat, through a rear access panel. An example of such would be the Meyer Sound MSL-4, with the optional phase plug removed.

Intuition implies that the cone's HF would sag, roll off and beam sooner than with a conventional throat, with more possible internal reflections, which means a lower crossover point. A considered application would be a horizontal trap of no more than 30-40 degrees, in an attempt to put the predicted beaming to some use.

The advantages: No double-walled cabinet construction, no rear access panel, no protruding rear chamber to obstruct array angles.

What are the disadvantages, and do they outweigh the upside?

As always Wayne, I truly appreciate the time you take to answer my tedious barrage of questions, but I also invite other forum members to take a crack at me. I mean, if anyone feels that I'm monopolizing the forum, please let me know and I'll back off a bit!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message