Home » Audio » Speaker » ?Horn Questions?
?Horn Questions? [message #19087] Thu, 08 February 2007 22:47 Go to previous message
Cuppa Joe is currently offline  Cuppa Joe
Viscount
I've read that a horn's depth should be at least 1/4 wavelength of the desired cutoff frequency, while the mouth's circumference should equal the wavelength. The problem with a 90-degree (horizontal) conical horn is that the width increases 2" for every inch of depth added. If I wanted (for instance) a 160Hz cutoff, a depth of at least 21" would be required, which would make the interior width about 42" plus the width of the throat. That's a little too much like furniture or pet housing! Is there some way to obtain a lower cutoff (that is, below 200Hz) in a 90-degree conical horn without resorting to a mouth that wide?

I've seen some designs that look like they have 2 conical sections within the horn's horizontal expansion. Examples are the Peavey MB-2 and Rog Mogale's MT122. The first section, attached to the throat, appears to be about 1/2 the coverage angle of the second section terminating at the mouth. Is this still a conical horn, or is it a crude approximation of another horn type? When the wavelength becomes shorter than the first section's depth, does it beam at that coverage angle?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Array Enclosure Plans ie Northcreek Designs
Next Topic: ?Horn Questions?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:49:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects