Home » Audio » Speaker » Steak Sauce
Steak Sauce [message #18968] Fri, 13 October 2006 19:40 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Here is the next installment on my open baffle ramblings… Having just listened to a number of recordings on my latest incarnation of the OB Electro-Voice, I have to say that not having a box to color the speaker seems to me like not putting sauce on your steak. What I mean is that sauce seems to cover stuff up so that one steak can taste kind of like the next, and it takes bigger differences to tell them apart. What you really taste is the sauce, not the meat. Same thing I’m finding the more I listen OB. I can really tell big differences between output tubes, for example. Or between quality of recordings. It’s been an interesting evening. I don’t have all the bass bugs ironed out yet, but getting there. I ordered some 15” Dayton IB subs today. And someone has some JBL M252’s I might be trying soon. For now, I’m using one EV SP-12C on each side and the bass is two EV TRXB’s in an open back box in the center crossed at about 125 hz. Oh, the SP-12s are mounted on 18” wide baffle with two 7” wings on each sice, and 4’ tall. I have a critic coming over tomorrow, perhaps I’ll get a second opinion, but right now they sound pretty darn good.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message