Home » Audio » Speaker » Fun with Vintage Speakers
Fun with Vintage Speakers [message #18741] Tue, 16 May 2006 19:57 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Thought others might find this interesting. I spent the evening playing with some vintage Electro Voice SP-12's that I have, putting them in open baffles on top of a pair of JBL 2226's for bass support (also base support...). I had to pad down the SP-12s quite a bit to get them matched to the woofers. I swear these EVs have never been used. I bought them on ebay some time ago as NOS, and I can see no evidence that they've ever been mounted. At any rate, what a fantastic sound stage and tone. Yes, I'm getting a bit of the beaming that 12" speakers do, but maybe that is just placement. Where they are right now I get a razor sharp image with tons of depth. I had my wife come listen to them and she immediately said it was the most life-like sound she'd heard (and I've played LOTS of different speakers for her). She liked them a lot more than the Altec 811's I had on there before (she thought they looked like "cartoon" speakers). At any rate, this has been a fun evening of just messing around with different stuff. The old EV's seem pretty reasonably priced on places like ebay. If you're into open baffle, you might look up a pair and give them a try. From the specs I've seen they are high Qt (good for OB) and very efficent (as I said, I had to knock them down a lot to match the 97db JBLs). Seem to do pretty well in the HF area too (they have a wizzer).

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: internal pressure
Next Topic: Any Opinions About This Driver?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 03:22:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio