Home » Audio » Speaker » The Subwoofer thing
Re: Speaker placement [message #18680 is a reply to message #18679] Wed, 29 March 2006 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This has moved from a discussion about subwoofer placement into a more general discussion about subwoofer crossover frequencies and integration with mains.

There are two issues here. One is the use of dense interference to smooth room modes. The other is of integration with mains, considering crossover points and slopes and distance between subs and mains.

Dense interference can be accomplished at 100Hz using closer spacing than is required for dense interference at 35Hz because of the wavelengths involved. I'm saying I think probably it is worthwhile to have closer-spaced overlapping midwoofers for modal smoothing, and further spaced subs. The further subs might be arranged symmetrically as Welti suggests, or randomly as you suggest. But the nearby overlapping midwoofers should probably be symmetrical, to provide better imaging. They're the transition drivers, used up to the end of the modal range. They would work something like a traditional line array, but used only up to the Schroeder frequency.

I think I understand your concept, its strengths and weaknesses. How about you? Do you understand what I am saying?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message